One of the first things you want to do when planning major renovations for your residence is to avoid rushing into selection of a home remodeling contractor. If your choice in contractors is a poor one, repairing the potential damage is not as simple as applying a coat of paint.
Here are seven tips to help you make the right choice when selecting a home remodeling contractor:
1. Ask for referrals from friends or neighbors who have had remodeling work done on their own homes.
2. Check for or ask to see certification, insurance coverage, and licensing on your contractor candidates.
3. Ask questions in person or over the phone. How long have they been in business? Will they take on your job? Are they willing to provide references? Make a list of questions before your interview so you are prepared.
4. If they tell you that their “price” is only good “today,” keep shopping. A reputable contractor doesn’t need to pressure sales from potential clients.
5. Get everything in writing from the initial designs to the final contract, and read all the fine print carefully.
6. Find out if the contractor will be doing the work themselves or subcontracting all or part of the job, and ask questions about the subcontractor (if there will be one).
7. Establish a budget for your project and specific details of what is to be done well in advance.